The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) is seeking to add an experienced Senior Publications Manager and Editor to our team of high-performing professionals.
In this position, you will work in conjunction with the Director of Publishing to manage the day-to-day flow of editorial services work that comes through the ADEA Division of Communications and Membership (ADEA DCM), ensuring that all documents are edited and reviewed by their requested or negotiated deadlines. You will serve as project manager for the development, production and printing of ADEA publications and other collateral materials. You must be able to juggle a high volume of varied editorial work, work independently, cultivate collegial/diplomatic working relationships with staff members throughout ADEA, and work as part of a team.
Additionally, you serve as copy and substantive editor for ADEA publications, maintain the ADEA Style Guide, develop editorial tools for the Key Employee Info desktop folder, assist colleagues with style questions, and write copy when needed.
Editing and Writing
Edits ADEA materials (including, but not limited to, newsletters, printed and electronic meeting materials and communications, meeting agendas, informational and promotional emails, policy papers, policy briefs, data surveys, publications and brochures, content for posting on the ADEA website, PowerPoint presentations, instructions/content for centralized application services, etc.) to:
- Ensure the accuracy of all spelling and grammar.
- Ensure consistency with the ADEA Style Guide and other protocols.
- Read content for clarity, query unclear text and suggest alternate wording.
- Ensure accuracy by performing fact checks.
- Verify that editorial, formatting and other changes have been made correctly.
Collaborates with ADEA staff requesting editorial support or publications development; participates in planning meetings and helps develop production schedules. Works with content writers to strengthen texts.
Assists ADEA Dental School Explorer Project Manager (aka Publications Manager) with review and approval of online changes input into the ADEA Dental School Explorer by the 76 U.S. and Canadian Dental Schools following the annual editing period in January/February.
Serves as a resource for ADEA style.
- Writes and rewrites copy as needed.
In consultation with the Director of Publishing, manages high volume of editing requests coming to ADEA DCM.
Negotiates deadlines (in consultation with Director of Publishing if needed), assigns editing to self or other ADEA DCM editorial staff members, tracks the progress of materials being edited, and manages the ADEA DCM review process of edited materials.
Develops production schedules for publications.
Manages the development, design, and publishing of printed and electronic publications (e.g., policy briefs, brochures, special ad-hoc publications, digital publications).
Manages content updates of the biennial ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools and its printing and mailing:
- Establishes and manages processes and schedules (development of next edition will begin in summer/fall 2020); anticipates potential problems and provides solutions.
- Manages the work of the graphic design firm implementing the updates and adjust workflows as needed; analyzes and improves production processes to streamline efforts and improve quality.
- Leads collaborative efforts with ADEA staff content experts to review and update narrative chapter content; edits directory content and prepares updates for graphic designer.
- Ensures that most current school profile content from the online ADEA Dental School Explorer is reflected in the updated school profiles.
- Consults with Senior Vice President for Educational Pathways on best dates for distributing school profile proofs to school contacts; coordinates dissemination and collects corrections/edits from schools.
- Works with the Director of Publishing on printing and mailing.
In consultation with the Director of Publishing and the Chief Communications and Marketing Officer, develops and maintains the following tools designed to help ADEA employees adhere to ADEA style:
- ADEA Style Guide.
- Dental Schools Names and Deans style sheet.
- Editorial guidelines included in the ADEA Key Employee Info desktop folder.
- Makes recommendations to the Director of Publishing or the Chief Communications and Marketing Officer about publications in process as needed.
Baccalaureate degree in a related field.
Seven or more years of project management and client relations experience, with
experience in publications management and meeting multiple, overlapping deadlines.
Seven or more years of writing and editing experience, including substantive editing, quick-turnaround copyediting and proofreading.
Strong eye for detail and strong fact-checking ability.
Ability to analyze basic statistical data for accuracy and consistency, written content for organization and flow, and production processes for user friendliness, effectiveness efficiency.
Problem solving skills needed to propose solutions when issues arise.
Strong initiative, the ability to work independently, and the people skills to cultivate relationships and work well as part of a team.
The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) is The Voice of Dental Education. Its members include all 76 U.S. and Canadian dental schools, over 800 allied and advanced dental education programs, 66 corporations and more than 20,000 individuals.
The mission of ADEA is to lead institutions and individuals in the dental education community to address contemporary issues influencing education, research and the delivery of oral health care for the overall health and safety of the public.
ADEA’s activities encompass a wide range of research, advocacy, faculty development, meetings and communications, including the esteemed Journal of Dental Education, as well as the dental school admissions services ADEA AADSAS, ADEA PASS, ADEA DHCAS and ADEA CAAPID.