|Title:||Project Manager for Scholarly Journal|
The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) is seeking to add an experienced Project Manager for the Journal of Dental Education (JDE) to our team of high-performing professionals.
Summary of Position
The JDE Project Manager serves within the ADEA Division of Communications and Membership (ADEA DCM) and supports and sustains the ongoing operations of ADEA’s self-published monthly scholarly journal, the Journal of Dental Education (JDE).
We seek a hands-on self-starter able to manage discrete pieces of the JDE autonomously, specifically the day-to-day administration of the online manuscript submissions workflow. You will serve as point person for various JDE-related vendors and must be well-versed on working with websites and other web-based platforms. You will support the Editor, Associate Editor, and Managing Editor as needed to produce monthly issues, generate online usage reports, and organize JDE-related events and programming at ADEA’s annual meeting. You will keep up to date on recent trends, developments and best practices in scholarly publishing and make informed recommendations for how these trends and best practices can be applied to the JDE.
During 2019 ADEA will transition to producing the JDE with a large contract publisher. The first issue published by the contractor will be January 2020. You will play a central role in managing and completing this important transition, and post-transition will serve as the ADEA staff liaison to the contract publisher. It is imperative that the person in this position be an agile problem-solver eager to contribute proactively to a successful transition. Over the year, some of this position’s current responsibilities (listed below) will shift to the contract publisher and new responsibilities will be assigned, requiring a flexible and collegial work style.
As part of the ADEA DCM editorial team, you will copyedit and proofread various ADEA documents as assigned, particularly Association reports that are published in the JDE, as needed to ensure the editorial quality, consistency, accuracy and branding of ADEA communications.
- Manages, under supervision of the Director of Publishing, the transition of the JDE to a contract publisher, and serves as the main ADEA staff liaison once the transition is completed.
- Participates in JDE planning and strategy discussions with the JDE Editor, Associate Editor, contract publisher staff and ADEA staff. Follows up on action items from these meetings.
- Monitors the JDE’s digital presence, researching and recommending enhancements to its online features.
- Keeps abreast of trends in scholarly publishing and digital publishing and synthesizes that knowledge to keep supervisor and the JDE Editor informed.
- Develops familiarity with other dental journals and key journals in higher education, keeping track of what those journals are doing digitally and what features they offer their readers. Develops collegial relationships with staff of other journals to cross-pollinate ideas.
- Understands how a journal’s impact factor is measured.
- Develops collaborative working relationships with the JDE Editor, Associate Editor and Managing Editor and provides support as needed.
- Manages relationships with key vendors until the transition to a contract publisher, key vendors currently include ScholarOne (a web-based workflow management system) and HighWire Press (host of jdentaled.org).
- Manages the JDE manuscript submission and peer-review process using ScholarOne’s Manuscript Central. This includes:
- Providing support and technical guidance to authors submitting articles and reviewers completing analysis for the JDE.
- Completing the administrative checklist for all articles (about 500 per year) and ensuring that each submission is prepared in an acceptable form; all tables, figures, photos and illustrations referenced are present; and all necessary forms have been received.
- Receives, files, and follows up on publication agreement and conflict of interest forms
- Maintains author and reviewer instructions and forms posted on ScholarOne, writes additional documents (instructions and charts) as needed to assist authors and reviewers with the submission process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reviews and approves monthly JDE proofs and communicates inconsistencies to the Managing Editor.
- Collaborates with JDE Editor on yearly call with the JDE Editorial Review Board—queries members for availability, drafts agendas, participates in call and provides meeting minutes and action items.
- Oversees monthly mailing of complimentary copies of JDE to authors.
- Collaborates with the JDE Editor to plan and implement JDE-related events at the ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition.
- Is proficient in JDE editorial style and edits all Association reports that are published in the JDE.
- Edits/proofreads/fact checks other written ADEA communications as assigned to ensure these materials are free from typographical errors, editorially consistent and accurately reflect Associated Press and ADEA style, and formatted consistently.
As this position collaborates with Association leaders and members, it requires a person who is self-motivated, confident, proactive, and acutely attentive to details. The successful candidate will possess excellent judgment, exceptional organizational skills and professional discretion with information. The candidate must be able to manage a workload that can be fast-paced with multiple assignments and deadlines.
The successful candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or related field with a minimum of five years of project management and editing experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with a peer-reviewed scholarly journal.
- Demonstrated experience working with websites and other web-based tools and platforms.
- Experience with ScholarOne Manuscript Central or a similar journal manuscript processing system preferred.
- Polished personal interaction style and ability to work collegially with ADEA staff and members.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to set priorities and work with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and web-based content management or database systems.
- Solid project management and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
In addition to a rewarding and purposeful mission, ADEA offers you a collaborative team environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits, including health, vision, dental and life insurance, wellness benefits, generous paid leave and a 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution. Our new office is conveniently located across from the Washington Convention Center, near shopping, restaurants and the Red and Green Line Metro Stations. Apply online by submitting a resume and cover letter with salary requirements. No phone calls, please. ADEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, visit www.adea.org.
The mission of ADEA is to lead institutions and individuals in the dental education community to address contemporary issues influencing education, research and the delivery of oral health care for the overall health and safety of the public.
ADEA’s activities encompass a wide range of research, advocacy, faculty development, meetings and communications, including the esteemed Journal of Dental Education, as well as the dental school admissions services ADEA AADSAS, ADEA PASS, ADEA DHCAS and ADEA CAAPID.